There is no food more universally loved than Pizza. Whether it be a wood oven pizza with gourmet toppings, or a single slice from a food court, all over the world people from the ages of 3 to 100 know and love Pizza! In fact I can honestly say that I do not know a single person that dislikes pizza.
However, as it says in the title “It’s All In The Crust”, and I believe that is so true. Being on keto, our hunger for this Italian classic carb, only seems to intensify instead of diminish, well at least thats the case for my family and I.
Our craving for pizza has us doing all sorts of things like turning vegetables into pizza crust, turning shredded canned chicken into pizza crust, and although it may help us for a little while, I could never help but feel that something was missing.
The taste was kind of there, once you got so immune to cauliflower you couldn’t taste it anymore, and the texture…..well it just never felt like pizza dough to me, foldable, pliable, wonderful pizza dough, thats the mouthfeel I was missing. I was missing not just the taste, but the sensation of eating a REAL PIZZA, from a local pizza bar. I tried that fathead dough, it was getting closer, but I could taste and feel the almond flour still, and I wasn’t fond of how many carbs it brought to the table also. As with all my experiments, I would give it to my girls to taste. What better critics of pizza than children. After several “No’s” and “It tastes like a keto pizza“, I finally hit the jackpot with this one. Let’s just say there were zero leftovers and they were asking me to make it again the next evening.
So follow these really easy steps below and I believe you’ll find yourself pleasantly surprised…..And just a little teaser for the weeks ahead, Wait til you see what else we’ve done with this same dough recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup Rao’s Marinara Sauce or use our Marinara Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Whatever other toppings you would like that fits into your keto diet and macros.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Beat eggs in a small bowl and set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients together including the eggs, make sure egg is well inorporated throughout the cheese mixture without breaking down the cheese too much.
- Put mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and form into shape desired for pizza. Ours is a 8″ to 10″pizza. You want the crust approximately 1/2″ thick.
- Place pizza dough in the oven on the middle shelf for 15 mins.
- Take out pizza, add marinara sauce and desired topping evenly, add a sprinkling more of mozzarella cheese to set toppings and place back in oven for an additional 20-25 mins until edges are lightly browning.
- Remove from oven, slide from parchment paper onto cooling rack for about 5 mins. Do not skip this step, this allows steam to escape without collecting moisture and going soggy. This is what will give you that great pizza crust texture.
- Serve and Enjoy
NET CARBS: 2g per serving(half a pizza)
This is based on the pizza base with the marinara ONLY