So for this mid-week recipe we’re keeping it short and sweet. A couple of weeks ago we posted our Roasted Poblano With Chicken And Cheddar Soup recipe, since then we’ve had a ton of requests for a keto version of a Panera Bread style Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Now in this soup we do recommend using a good quality American Cheese sliced from the block at the deli section of your grocery store, definitely don’t use the Kraft Singles if you can avoid it. We like to use Land O’ Lakes American Cheese, you just can’t get that rich and melty cheese flavor without it….Now that may make this recipe KETO-ish, or Lazy Keto as some may call it. We won’t be offended if you decide to go with a standard grated cheddar for this reason, but it will definitely taste a little different, and the texture will get slightly grainy.
- 1/2 pound American cheese cubed – we use Land O’ Lakes sliced from the block
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 3 cups of broccoli florets, chopped into pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (for thickening)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt butter, add onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent. About 10 mins.
- In a large blender, add all liquid ingredients and xanthan gum, and blend until incorporated thoroughly. Start by pulsing, then build speed. This incorporates the xanthan gum evenly throughout the liquids, and makes for better thickening.
- Add liquid mixture into the pan and stir until it gets hot, then add the cubed cheese, and broccoli and continuously stir until all the cheese is melted.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the broccoli has reached your desired tenderness.
- SERVE AND ENJOY!!
SOUP: 5g Net Carbs Per Serving
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- GREENPAN 5 QT POT
- SILICONE RUBBER SPATULA
- LE TAUCI SOUP BOWL
6 thoughts on “Panera Style Broccoli Cheddar Soup”
how much broccoli do you add not listed in recipe
Sorry about that Sandy…it’s 3 cups of florets, then chopped into pieces. Thx for pointing that out…its also been corrected in the recipe.
Question about the cheese–having a hard time finding the block version of Land O’Lakes. How much in ounces do you use?
10 oz of American would make this soup just fine!
Where are the macros listed for those who are keeping them under 20 gm per day?
Hi Judy, thanks for stopping by. With all of our recipes we recommend using Carb Manager for your Macros, as different brands of the same ingredient can contain a vastly different amount of carbohydrates.
Often enough people like to swap out our sweetener for theirs and also add and subtract ingredients to their own likes and dislikes.
“SERVING SIZE” perception can also be vastly different from one person to another.
And personally through my own experience, I barely believe most peoples macros when they put them online, I always run everything through a macro calculator myself.