So for this mid-week recipe we’re keeping it short and sweet. A couple of weeks ago we posted our Roasted Poblano With Chicken And Cheddar Soup recipe, since then we’ve had a ton of requests for a keto version of a Panera Bread style Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
“Not only did we come through for you, but we also upped the anti by including a simple little grilled ham and cheese panini to go with it. This time of year a simple soup and sandwich works wonders for lunch or dinner”
Now in this soup we do recommend using a good quality American Cheese sliced from the block at the deli section of your grocery store, definitely don’t use the Kraft Singles if you can avoid it. We like to use Land O’ Lakes American Cheese, you just can’t get that rich and melty cheese flavor without it….Now that may make this recipe KETO-ish, or Lazy Keto as some may call it. We won’t be offended if you decide to go with a standard grated cheddar for this reason, but it will definitely taste a little different.
Remember the Pizza Recipe we posted up a while back, and we said “stay tuned for what else you can do with this dough recipe”. Well….it’s great for making a panini too!
You don’t have to use ham and cheese, you can fill it with whatever keto approved fillings you like.
So without further ado, here is the frequently requested
Panera Style Broccoli Cheddar Soup!
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
10 slices deli American cheese cubed – we use Land O’ Lakes sliced from the block
4 cups chicken bone broth
3 cups of broccoli florets, chopped into pieces
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup onion finely diced
1 carrot cut in large chunks (will be removing before serving)
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp xanthan gum
Salt & Pepper to taste
Use our base dough recipe
2 slices of cheese cut into halves
4 slices of ham
FOR THE SOUP – SERVES 5
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt butter, and soften onions and carrots over med heat until translucent. About 10 mins. (the carrot won’t soften but adds flavor)
- In a large blender, add all liquid ingredients and xanthan gum, and blend until incorporated thoroughly. Start by pulsing, then build speed. This incorporates the xanthan gum evenly throughout the liquids, and makes for better thickening.
- Add liquid mixture into the pan and stir until it gets hot, then add the cubed cheese, and broccoli and continuously stir until all the cheese is melted.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the broccoli has reached your desired tenderness. Remove carrot pieces (or just don’t eat them).
FOR THE PANINI – SERVES 2
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Make the base dough recipe into a large rectangle shape, roughly 10″x6″
- Place dough on cookie sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper(not wax paper) for 25 to 30 mins or til golden.
- Slide dough onto a cooling rack for around 10 mins to cool. This step is important!
- Once cooled slightly, cut the bread down the middle.
- Place toppings onto bottom piece, and place top bread over the fillings, like a normal sandwich.
- Heat Panini or sandwich press, place sandwich in, and cook til desired doneness.
- Once done, cut panini in half, then half again into triangle shape, as pictured in featured photo.