When we first arrived in Tennessee (pre-keto), my husband and I got hooked on these little tasty breakfast bites made by Tennessee Pride.
They truly are a Southern breakfast in a single bite. You’ve got the breakfast sausage, the biscuit, and cheddar cheese all in one delicious little mouthful that you can easily dip into the breakfast gravy. Great for a quick breakfast on the go, or when you don’t feel like making all the separate components and messing up your kitchen on a weekend morning. Hubby and I usually eat them with some scrambled eggs and a side of our keto breakfast gravy.
Faith Rose loves them with Fried eggs and bacon. (She just told me to write that!)
As far as Faith is concerned, bacon is her go to side dish for EVERY meal.
In the original recipe, you combine 1 pound of breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese and some bisquick baking mix together, but obviously on the Keto Way Of Eating, the biscuit mix is a NO-GO. However, as per usual, with a bit of keto ingenuity, we have worked a way around it. And to be honest, these actually surpassed our expectations, and are lighter and fluffier than the original.
“The great thing about these is that you can whip up a batch in a jiffy, cook how ever many you need, and freeze the rest for another time. Or even make up a large batch just to portion and freeze for the rest of the week, and pull them out as you need them.
Great for the soccer moms on the go, or for a quick breakfast the kids can take and eat in the car.”
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups of our Biscuit Mix (minus the buttermilk portion)
- 1 pound of our homemade breakfast sausage
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Pre Heat oven to 350F
- In a med/large mixing bowl, sift all of the dry ingredients except for the cheese.
- Add the cheese to the dry mix and incorporate.
- Add breakfast sausage and beaten egg and mix until well combined (I like to use my hands at this stage)
- Roll mixture into 1inch balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet or portion and freeze in a freezer bag. (Should make 24)
- Put on middle shelf of oven for 18-20 minutes Or until thermometer reads 160F
- Serve with Bacon, Eggs and our breakfast gravy.
NET CARBS: 1g per serving