In our last blog, we used a Hollandaise sauce to liven up foods with delicate flavors, like eggs or Asparagus. In this blog we are going to focus on an Argentinian sauce called a Chimichurri.
Chimichurri is a sauce generally made from Parsely, Cilantro, Oregano and garlic, and has a bold flavor that can stand toe-to-toe with a beefy char-grilled steak, or a roasted pork loin. But it also works well as a marinade for fajitas, or shrimp.
Most Chimichurri’s are made in a single mixing bowl, where all the ingredients are added at the same time and mixed together. I like to put a little spin on it by adding half of the ingredients into a blender/food processor and blending it into a creamy liquid mixture, then re-adding that to the other half of the ingredients. What I love about this, is that you are getting 2 types of textures in the one sauce. You’ve got the traditional rustic texture from the rough chopped herbs, and also the creamy liquid texture from blending them up.
The great thing about chimichurri, is that you can store it in the fridge for about 3 weeks, so whenever you want to liven up a boring dish….reach for the CHIMICHURRI.
2 cups finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup finely chopped fresh parsely
5 TBSP finely chopped fresh oregano
2 small shallots finely chopped
8 cloves garlic finely chopped
1.5 cups extra virgin olive oil
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Into a large mixing bowl add all of the herbs and seasonings. Only add HALF of the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Stir well so that all the ingredients are combined.
- Take half of the mixture, and place into a blender/food processor, along with the other half of the oil and red wine vinegar. Blend for 30 seconds, until its smooth and creamy.
- Add this back into the mixing bowl with the other half that wasn’t blended, and mix well until everything is combined.
- Store in airtight container or mason jar.
MAKES: 28 oz.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- PIONEER WOMAN WOODEN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN 14pc KNIFE SET AND BLOCK
- MAIRICO MEAT CARVING KNIFE