Tiramisu a coffee lovers dessert of desserts.
In Italian tiramisu literally means “pick me up/cheer me up“.
That’s what this dessert promises, and that’s exactly what it delivers!
Creamy, Luxurious, not overly sweet and laced with coffee, that’s MY KIND OF DESSERT!
For the base, we used a sweetened 90 second bread to create the sponge fingers.
I’m usually not a fan of 90 second bread, but for this dessert, it worked better than any other cake/sponge I tried creating!
When making the zabaglione (Italian light pastry cream), it is important to keep an eye on the texture, whip it too long, it almost becomes butter; And if you don’t whip it enough, it’s way too loose, and the whole dessert is one mushy mess!
SPONGE RECIPE: (make individually x3)
- Mix all dry ingredients in a glass 6″ x 6″ dish.
- Mix the egg, vanilla and melted butter into the dry ingredients, until well combined.
- Cook in the microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Run a butter knife around the edge of the sponge/cake, and carefully remove. Set aside.
- Do this 2 more times.
- Once cooled, cut each loaf into 4 strips, then cut each strip vertically in half. You should end up with 24 pieces.
MAKE 3 DOUBLE SHOTS OF ESPRESSO COFFEE.
Or 1 cup of VERY STRONG coffee, but espresso is definitely superior.
Pour into a container large enough to dip sponge fingers.
ZABAGLIONE (Italian pastry cream) INGREDIENTS:
6 large egg yolks (only)
1 pound mascarpone cheese
2 TBSP stevia/erythritol blend
2 TBSP freshly brewed espresso (reserve the rest for dipping the sponge later)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg yolks and sugar with a hand mixer for 5 minutes until light and airy.
- Add the mascarpone cheese, and whip for 1 minute.
- Add 2 TBSP of the espresso coffee, and whip until thick enough to hold onto a spoon without dripping off, but, not so thick that it looks like butter.
- Mix 3 TBSP 100% unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 TBSP swerve confectioners sugar, until well combined.
- Place into a fine mesh/powdered sugar shaker.
- Dip each sponge finger (one at a time) into the reserved espresso, about 2 seconds each side, and place vertically into a 8″ x 6″ glass dish. Until you have a full bottom layer.
- Spread a layer of CREAM MIXTURE to cover.
- Shake a light layer of cocoa powder mix.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2, one more time.
- Finish with a generous layer of the cocoa powder mix.
- Refrigerate minimum of 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- BREVILLE ESPRESSO MACHINE
- SNAPWARE 6 CUP GLASS DISH
- PALAIS GLASS 6×6 GLASS DISH
- LEDOVI POWDER SHAKER