Besides Eggs Benedict, this is my husbands favorite “Brekky” (breakfast), as he would say in Australia. It’s unknown as to whether it’s called Eggs in Purgatory because the red marinara sauce looks like molten lava or because the red pepper flakes give it a spicy kick…..Either way, this breakfast dish is simple and delicious!!
For the marinara sauce you can either use our Marinara Recipe, or you can use a KETO APPROVED store bought marinara. We recommend Rao’s Marinara sauce if you’re going the store bought route.
1.5 cups of our Marinara Sauce, or Rao’s Marinara
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or more if you prefer it more spicy
1/2 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
chopped fresh basil for garnish
- In med/large skillet, add oil heat, add red pepper flakes for about 20-30 seconds to infuse the oil. Add marinara and heat until bubbling.
- Once boiling, turn down to low simmer and add eggs one at a time. I recommend cracking them into individually into a cup or ramekin first, for easy placement.
- Cover with a lid and let gently simmer until egg whites are nearly set, and the yolks are still runny inside.
- Cover with grated cheese, and place under broiler until the cheese is melted, and the whites of the egg are fully set. However you’re still aiming for a soft yolk.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
SERVES: 3 – 4