One of my biggest problems when I first started Keto was that I had always been a huge “SNACKER“. I was always looking for something to pick on, and my favorite go to snack item was tortilla chips and salsa, I would also switch it up from time to time with that delicious white queso dip that you get at the local Mexican Restaurant.
So instead of the tortilla chips, I now find that comforting crunch in Pork Skins, and I use these 2 recipes to help curb those snacky cravings that will only lead me down that road of “Carbage“.
This Queso Dip is remarkably simple. Pretty much every Mexican restaurant uses the same few ingredients in their sauce, but it all starts with the cheese.
You probably think I’m going to pull out the mexican classics: Queso Fresco, Asadero, Queso Quesadilla, Oaxaca…..Nope!!
WHITE AMERICAN….“SAY THAT AGAIN”….WHITE AMERICAN CHEESE.
That’s what queso dip is made from.
Now please don’t go and buy Kraft cheese slices, most of that is junk.
Go to your local deli counter and buy white american cheese from the block, we have found that Land O Lakes makes the best quality version, and it works especially well in this dip.
QUESO DIP INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound white american cheese cut into 1″ cubes (Land O Lakes is best)
- 1 4 oz. can green chiles
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp cumin
QUESO DIP INSTRUCTIONS:
- In a medium to large microwavable mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients.
- Heat on high for 30 seconds, remove and stir.
- Place back in the microwave and repeat the process until all of the ingredients are well combined, and you have a dip/sauce like consistency.
- It really is that simple!
- If you’re not keen on using a microwave, you can absolutely make this over a double boiler. It actually turns out better I think, but a lot of people want fast and simple, so therefor I mostly use the microwave.
Customize this and make it your own.
- If you like it a thinner consistency, add another 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, or you could use chicken stock if you didn’t want to add MORE cream.
- If you like it spicier, add a few jalapenos, and some jalapeno juice from the jar.
- If you don’t like the large pieces of green chiles, blend them up or finely chop them. They are mainly there for flavor anyway.
- Now, like ALL cheese base sauces/dips, it will get thicker and gooey when it starts to cool down, so you may want to put it in a warmer if you plan on keeping it out over a period of time.
Like the Queso Dip previously, this is another simple, quick, no fuss recipe.
When making Mexican Restaurant Style Salsa, you would think that fresher is better than canned…. I hate to tell you, but most Tex/Mex (American-Mexican) restaurants ain’t using fresh tomatoes out of the garden, and in all honesty, unless you’re trying to make a Pico de gallo, a few cans of Rotel actually have better texture and flavor for this style of salsa. This along with a couple of other surprise ingredients, and you’ll have yourself a spectacular tasting Restaurant Style Salsa.
- 3 cans mild rotel ( 2 drained, and 1 with the liquid)
- 3 TBSP fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 small onion finely diced
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1.5 tsp of our MSG free sazon seasoning or 1 sachet of Goya Sazon (if your keto allows)
- 1 tsp of our MSG free adobo seasoning or 1 tsp of Goya Adobo Seasoning (if your keto allows)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp stevia/erythritol blend sweetener
- Add ALL ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until you get the consistency that YOU like. I like mine half way between a Pico de gallo and a sauce – mainly liquidy, but still with a few good chunks of tomato and onion.
AGAIN…Make it your OWN!!
- If you like it spicier, add some jalapenos, and a little of their liquid.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- INSTANT POT ACE COOKING BLENDER