Asian Dumplings: Potstickers, Gyoza, Shui Jiao and Steamed wontons are some of the names people call them…I just call them DELICIOUS!!
This is one of those dishes that I really craved and had a hard time NOT HAVING when I first started Keto. The succulent juicy pork with ginger and scallion filling encased in a silky smooth wrapper, and then dipped into a bath of sweet chili sauce…OMG…Heaven…Right??
Well now you don’t have to miss out on them any more!
These Keto Friendly Dumplings are made with a cabbage leaf wrapper. (Yes I know what you’re thinking. The same thing my husband thought……Nooo!!!)
However, if you sear the bottom of these dumplings and then steam them until the cabbage leaf is soft and tender….TRUST ME….YOU AIN’T GONNA TASTE THE CABBAGE!
Having said that, most dumplings do have cabbage in the filling, so it also makes sense to wrap the filling with something that has the same flavor profile, right? That’s called “Killing two birds with one stone”.
On top of that, we’ve provided two DELICIOUS dipping sauces that are traditionally served with these dumplings to extra intensify the authenticity. Traditional DUMPLING SAUCE and our KETO FRIENDLY SWEET CHILI SAUCE, both tasting IDENTICAL to the original versions.
- 1 large head of cabbage (for the dumpling wrappers)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup scallions (finely diced green and white parts)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt (we use Redmonds Sea Salt)
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos or soy sauce(if it doesn’t offend your keto)
- 1/2 TBSP shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Add the ground pork and all of the other ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients until well combined and the mixture starts to become a cohesive ball (around 2 minutes).
- Gently remove (or cut) individual leaves off of cabbage.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place cabbage leaves in boiling water and blanch for 90 seconds. Then remove leaves and place them on a dry towel.
- Slice cabbage leaves in half lengthwise, removing the core.
- Place 1 TBSP of pork mixture towards the end of the cabbage leaf, and begin to roll whilst tucking in the sides. (Like rolling a burrito)
- Heat oil in a skillet (we use bacon grease) over medium heat, and gently put in half of the dumplings seam side down. Be sure to hold each one down for a few seconds as they will expand at first, until they are golden brown on the bottom, then remove them and do the same with the 2nd batch.
- After both batches are done, put all the dumplings in the skillet and fill with 3/4 of a cup of water. Put lid on the skillet and let the dumplings steam for 12-14 minutes or until the cabbage leaves are tender and pork filling is fully cooked through.
- Serve with dipping sauces!
MAKES APPROX: 20-24
SWEET CHILI SAUCE
- 1.25 cups water
- 1/4 cup stevia/erythritol sweetener
- 4 long red chillies
- 1 birds eye chili
- 6 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1 TBSP fish sauce
- 1 TBSP white vinegar
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- Roughly chop all of the chillies (be sure to wash your hands and not touch any sensitive parts of your face or body)
- Place chillies into a blender or food processor and pulse until you have a course chili paste.
- Empty the chili paste into a small saucepan and add all of the other ingredients including the water.
- Whisk the mixture over med/high heat until it comes to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low, and allow to gently simmer for 5 mins.
- Empty the contents into a mason jar or heatproof container and allow to cool.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
DUMPLING SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP coconut aminos or soy sauce(if it doesn’t offend your keto)
- 1/2 TBSP stevia/erythritol blend sweetener
- 1 tsp scallions(finely chopped green and white)
- 1/2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Add all of the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Allow to sit for at least 30 mins to let flavors come together.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- 12oz MASON JAR
- ASIAN SOUP SPOON
- SQUARE DINNER PLATES
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- RACHEL RAY NONSTICK SKILLETS
- PYREX MIXNG BOWLS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- INSTANT POT ACE COOKING BLENDER
- PIONEER WOODEN KNIFE SET
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
2 thoughts on “Asian Dumplings With Dipping Sauces”