As the cooler weather continues to set in, and the day light hours are getting MUCH shorter; Sometimes we can be in a mad panic trying to get out a dinner for the family in a small space of time.
There is almost nothing more comforting than a stick to your ribs, warm and hearty Chuck Roast!! And now with a little help from an Instant Pot, and a few secret ingredients, you can have this Chuck Roast on the table in around an hour, and having it taste like it’s been in a dutch oven all day.
Now if you remember our Chili recipe, which has practically gone viral, we use a few unusual ingredients to give the fast cooked chili that ALL DAY FLAVOR. At first people weren’t quite sure about THOSE ingredients, but now that they’ve tried it, they swear by it!!
Here it goes….Fish Sauce and Coconut Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce IF it doesn’t offend your keto)
But they’re Asian ingredients right, not something that you put in a Chuck Roast?
Fish Sauce and Liquid Aminos are high in what they call Umami.
Umami is what gives things a rich, savory, meaty flavor. Foods that are naturally high in Umami flavor are Parmesan Cheese, browned meats, ketchup, and for all the Aussies out there…Vegemite(which also works well in stews or chili’s in small doses may I ad).
These 2 additions are going to quickly boost the rich, meaty flavor in your Pot Roast, that usually can only be replicated by hours and hours of slow cooking.
So let’s get this show on the road, and start cooking!
- 1 large Chuck Roast (cut into 4 or 5 large chunks)
- 1 small onion, cut into large wedges
- 2 celery stalks, cut into medium pieces
- 1 pack button/baby bella mushrooms (16oz) left whole
- 1 bag brussels sprouts (16oz) left whole
- 4 sprigs of thyme (I tie them together for easy removal)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 2-3 tsp xanthan gum(depending on how thick you like your gravy)
- salt and pepper to season meat
- 2 TBSP bacon grease/lard/beef tallow
- 1 TBSP fish sauce
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos or soy sauce(if it doesn’t offend your keto)
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- Get all liquid seasonings in 1 small cup or ramekin.
- Season meat on both sides with generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat, add 2 TBSP of whatever grease you’re using. You’re going to want the pan to be very hot, so that you hear the meat sizzle when you put it in the skillet.
- Sear meat on all sides, and place in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add all of the vegetables to the Instant Pot.
- Add your liquid seasonings, garlic, tomato paste and herbs.
- Now add your beef broth, and stir everything together.
- Close the lid and set the valve to SEAL POSITION.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button, set the time for 1 Hour.
- Allow the Instant Pot to release the pressure manually or you can release the steam after 30 mins.
- Open the lid, lightly sprinkle the xanthan gum in, and stir until it is well incorporated and sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
My personal sweet-spot is 2 tsp, but if you like it thicker, you can go 3 tsp.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- INSTANT POT DUO
- LODGE 12″ CAST IRON SKILLET
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.