Chicken Boscaiola is a hearty chicken dish that was invented in Tuscany; Boscaiola is what they call a “Woodsman’s Wife” in Italy. In the colder months, this dish was made from the ingredients that were available in the woods at that time, especially “Mushrooms”, which were generally wild mushrooms like porcini and hen of the woods. However any good quality mushroom goes well in this dish.
We used Baby Bellas, because that’s what we had in our fridge; As well as using mushrooms, we included bacon(pancetta would be more traditional), broccoli and onion, but any other keto approved vegetable would go well in this dish. For the sauce we add some chicken stock and finish it off with heavy whipping cream and grated Parmesan cheese. Then we top it off with mozzarella cheese and broil it until golden brown and delicious.
Super Cheap, Quick and Simple, but definitely not lacking in flavor.
Our family eats it just like this, but you could also serve it over cauliflower rice or shiritaki noodles, if you’re looking for that little something more!
- 6 Chicken Breasts, diced into large chunks
- 1 16oz. container of mushrooms (we used baby bellas)
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into florets
- 10 strips of bacon, roughly chooped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (add more if you like)
- 1 stick of butter
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chicken stock/broth
- 3 TBSP oil/fat/bacon grease
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add bacon to a large skillet on medium heat, sauté-render bacon until half cooked.
- Add onions and broccoli and sauté until onions are translucent and broccoli is tender. Approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until tender. Approx. 5 minutes.
- Empty skillet and set vegetable mix aside.
- Add oil to skillet and set over med/high heat.
- Add cubed chicken and sauté until golden but not cooked through. Approx. 10-15 mins.
- Add minced garlic, and sauté for 1-2 mins, (do not burn garlic).
- Add the cream, chicken broth and butter, stir until it starts to slowly simmer.
- Take off of the heat, then slowly add your grated Parmesan Cheese whilst stirring. If you do this while its boiling or on the heat, the sauce will split and can go grainy.
- Add your cooked vegetables, stir through, and check that the chicken has cooked through or has reached 165F.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into a casserole or bake dish, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Turn your oven onto BROIL setting, and broil until the top is golden brown.
- SERVE AND ENJOY!!
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- CORNINGWARE 2.5 QUART CASSEROLE DISH
- RACHEL RAY NONSTICK SKILLETS
- CUISINART 14″ STAINLESS STEEL SKILLET
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com