One thing we get asked for a lot is MORE SIDE DISHES…Understandably you can get caught up in a boring rut serving the same meals day in and day out; And the easy way to help with that is different side dishes that excite the palate and keep it interesting.
Collard Greens are a staple vegetable in the South. They are always on the menu at any Diner or Meat and three restaurant as a side dish option. They go great with hearty meals, as well as with grilled or barbecued meats. We have them shown in our Main Picture served with a Fried Egg that my husband loves to eat for Brunch.
Also, the great thing about Collard Greens….You cannot overcook them!! The longer they cook, the better they are!!
- 32 oz bag Collard Greens
- 24 oz raw bacon/hog jaw/fat back or ham hock (chopped up)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste (though you probably won’t need salt)
- Sauté bacon and onions in a large pot over medium/high heat until the bacon has rendered and the onions are translucent.
- DON’T YOU DARE DRAIN THAT BACON GREASE!! That is where your flavor is at!!
- Add in the collard greens, garlic and red pepper flakes, and sauté in the bacon fat for around 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, water and apple cider vinegar. Stir to mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for around 90 minutes…or until you’ve reached your desired tenderness.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com