Well that super cold weather is really setting in now and my husband and I were discussing over coffee, how we’d really like to visit my Oldest Daughter soon… Well we live in Tennessee and my daughter, her husband and my 2 Grandchildren live in Louisiana. A little bit of a drive to say the least!!
But while we were talking about that, my dearest husband starts talking about the delicious food in Louisiana…Let’s just say he’s a little obsessed with Cajun Cooking!!
So today in honor of my oldest daughter and her wonderful Louisianan family, we are going to cook a warm, hearty AUTHENTIC JAMBALAYA… Now whenever you say AUTHENTIC, like with most regional cuisines, you’re going to have everybody add their 2 cents worth…The truth is EVERY FAMILY in those areas have their own family recipe, and their own tips and tricks…All of them being a little different from the other, However this is OUR FAMILY’S JAMBALAYA RECIPE and they’re as LOUISIANA as can be!!
BUT I DIGRESS!!
In this Jambalaya, we’ve used Andouille Sausage, Shrimp and Crawfish as the proteins.
However, if you’re not into seafood, throw in some chicken instead!!
As we always say on our blog “MAKE IT YOU’RE OWN” and we love it when you do!!
- 2 10oz bags cauliflower rice (we use Green Giant)
- 1 pound of good quality smoked pork sausage or Andouille (cut into 1/2″ pieces)
- 12oz raw shrimp
- 12oz crawfish tails
- 1 can mild rotel with green peppers
- 1 large green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 bunch green onion (chopped finely, both white and halfway up the green)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 TBSP hot sauce
- 1/2 TBSP keto approved cajun seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 TBSP bacon grease/lard/manteca
- Place cauliflower rice into a microwavable bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cook for anywhere between 10 – 15 mins. This will depend on YOUR microwave. You want the consistency of al-dente rice, it still has a little bite to it, but not crunchy.
- In a large pot, heat up bacon grease over medium heat. Place in the sausage and cook until golden on both sides. Remove sausage and set aside. DO NOT DRAIN THAT OIL!! That is liquid gold right there!
- Now put in the onions, you want these to get really nice and brown, quite dark, but not burnt. So you will have to baby sit this step. About 10 mins.
- Add in your peppers, grunyons (green onions) and minced garlic. Sauté until soft. 5-10 mins.
- In next comes the shrimp and crawfish, sauté until the shrimp just start to turn pink. 1-2 mins.
- Add back in the sausage, hot sauce, rotel and cajun seasoning. Stir well and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Put in the cauliflower rice, give it a stir to combine ingredients.
- Pour in the chicken stock, stir and bring to boil. Once it has reached a boil turn to low heat and simmer for 30 mins.
- Take off of the heat and let sit for 15 mins, re-stir and you’re all ready to serve!
- ENJOY with some of Neisha’s Famous Cornbread…**KITCHEN TIP** I loved the thought of having a cornbread with some extra bold flavors to stand up to the Jambalaya, so we added 1/2 cup cheddar and 2 TBSP of Chopped Pickled Jalapenos to the Cornbread batter.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- PYREX 3 Pc SET GLASS MIXING BOWLS
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- FABERWARE 10.5 QUART NONSTICK POT
- LODGE 8″ CAST IRON SKILLET
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com