With most of the country being under Winter Storm Warnings, this freezing cold weather has us craving some “GOOD OL’ SOUTHERN COMFORT FOODS!”
So here’s another to add to your recipe list.
So in this pot pie recipe we utilize our Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe for the topping. I guarantee you, that you will think you’re eating a genuine Southern Biscuit.
A big part of what I love about pot pies is the cubes of hearty potatoes. However on keto, this is not possible…..But follow the steps for our Daikon Radish below and let me tell ya…“It get’s pretty darn close”.
POT PIE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 Batch of Biscuit Recipe, (you will only need to make the dough)
- 4 large chicken breasts cut into 1″ pieces
- 12 oz. Block American Cheese from the deli section (we use Land o Lakes) Cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 pound bacon chopped
- 2 cups daikon radish medium dice
- 1 cup celery medium dice
- 1 cup onion medium dice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- salt and pepper to taste (salt will probably not be necessary)
- 2 TBSP oil/fat/bacon grease
Pot Pie Instructions
- First make Biscuit Topping Recipe. (You only need to make the dough) and set in the refrigerator.
- Set Oven to 400F
- In a small saucepan add chicken broth and bring to a simmer over med/high heat. Once simmering, add daikon radish and allow to simmer for 7 minutes. Discard the stock and set daikon radish aside.
- In a large skillet add your chopped bacon and render until about half way over med/high heat.
- Add in all the vegetables including the reserved daikon radish and sauté until the vegetables are softened and the bacon is fully cooked. Set vegetables aside into a separate bowl.
- Using the same skillet(don’t wipe it out, you want that flavor). Add in 2 TBSP of keto friendly oil/fat/bacon grease. Add in the chicken breast and sauté until the chicken is golden on the outside, but not quite fully cooked.
- Add your vegetables back in, the cheese and stir until cheese is melted, then add in your heavy whipping cream.
Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients together and sauce is just starting to simmer.
- Season to taste, and also gauge how thick the sauce is and how thick you would like it to be. Sprinkle xanthan gum in the amount that you would like it thickened.
- Pour into a 12″ Cast Iron Skillet or Oven Proof Baking Dish, and top with the biscuit topping.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, turn oven off and keep door cracked for 2 minutes. Take the pot pie out of the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- T-FAL NONTICK 5qt JUMBO SAUTE PAN
- LODGE 12″ CAST IRON SKILLET
- IRON LOOK 7″ PORCELAIN BOWL
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.