So as you know from our Slow Smoked Pork Ribs Blog we put up a couple of weeks ago, My husband is OBSESSED with American Style Barbecue and smoking meat….So we treated him to an early FATHERS DAY PRESENT
and bought him a Pit Boss Wood Pellet Smoker.
Well he’s just as obsessed still, and we came up with a great recipe: Barbecue Pork with Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Waffle Buns.
We paired the sandwiches with our Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce and topped with our Coleslaw Recipe.
CAROLINA BARBECUE SAUCE: Is a little more spicy and vinegary than our previous Barbecue Sauce Recipe, which is more of your Classic, Thick, Sweet Sauce. The Carolina Style is typically what you would find on most pulled pork in the South. Pulled pork is very rich and the vinegar and peppers in the sauce, although still sweet in taste, helps to cut through the richness of the meat. (RECIPE BELOW) However, if you’re more of a sticky sweet sauce person, then feel free to use our other recipe.
THE JALAPENO CHEDDAR CORNBREAD WAFFLES: This recipe derived from our good friend NEISHA LOVES IT.
Neisha’s Keto Southern Cornbread Recipe. All we’ve done is add some cheddar cheese and diced pickled jalapenos to give it some more zip, again to contrast the richness of the pork. And then we just put it into a mini waffle maker, and Ta-Da!! Cornbread Waffle Buns.
BARBECUE PORK INGREDIENTS:
- Pork Butt (Boston Butt)
- Our Memphis Style BBQ Rub Recipe
BARBECUE PORK INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat Smoker up to 200F
- Liberally sprinkle BBQ Rub all over the pork butt. Gently pat it on.
- Place the pork butt FAT SIDE DOWN into the smoker and let it cook until it reaches 160F internally.
(Remember to make sure that the meat thermometer isn’t touching the bone, or it will give a false reading)
Approx. 8-9 Hours, sometimes more sometimes less.
- Once it reaches 160F, get the smoker up to 225F and allow the pork butt to cook to 195F internally.
- After the pork butt has reached 195F (usually 3-4 more hours), take it out and let it rest for 30 minutes before pulling the pork. If cooked properly the bone should just slide out clean. It’s kind of a visual thermometer if you don’t have one. If it doesn’t slide out easily and cleanly, keep it in the smoker for 30 minutes to an hour. You can’t rush good Barbecue!!
CAROLINA STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of our ketchup recipe or keto approved ketchup
- 1/2 cup swerve brown sweetener
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 TBSP course ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp stevia/erythritol blend sweetener
- 1/2 tsp salt (we use Redmonds Sea Salt)
- 1/4 tsp ground mace or ground nutmeg
CAROLINA STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Add all the ingredients into a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until it starts to boil, and all the ingredients are well combined.
- After reaching a boil, lower heat to low and allow sauce to gently simmer for 20 minutes. Making sure to stir periodically.
- After 20 minutes, pour into a mason jar and allow to cool.
CHEDDAR JALAPENO CORNBREAD WAFFLES INGREDIENTS:
- 1 Batch Neisha’s Keto Southern Cornbread Recipe
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 TBSP chopped pickled jalapeno’s
- Bacon grease for brushing onto waffle maker
CHEDDAR JALAPENO CORNBREAD WAFFLES INSTRUCTIONS:
- After making the cornbread recipe, add in the shredded cheddar cheese and chopped pickled jalapeno’s. Mix it all in until it’s well combined.
- Heat up mini waffle maker, brush with bacon grease, and add 1/3 cup of cornbread mixture. Cook until the cornbread waffle is golden.
- Allow waffles to cool on a cooling rack for approx. 20 MINUTES before using.
- MAKES 4 WAFFLES
ASSEMBLING THE SANDWICH:
- BOTTOM – Cornbread Waffle
- Pulled Pork
- Barbecue Sauce
- TOP – Cornbread Waffle
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- NORDIC WARE 1/2 SHEET BAKING PANS
- PIT BOSS WOOD PELLET SMOKER
- PIT BOSS HICKORY PELLETS
- THERMOPRO DIGITAL MEAT THERMOMETER
- COBANA GRILL GAZEBO
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- CALPHALON MILK SAUCEPAN
- FARBERWARE SILICONE MINI WHISK
- MASON JAR 12 oz
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- NOSTALGIA MINI WAFFLE MAKER
- BAKING/COOLING RACK
- LACED PLATE
- PYREX MIXNG BOWLS
- BBQ SERVING BUNDLE – CONDIMENT BOTTLES, SERVING BASKETS AND LINERS
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
7 thoughts on “Barbecue Pork On A Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Bread Waffle Bun”