A good carbon steel wok is a necessity for cooking Asian recipes. Wok’s are able to get to a higher temperature than most cooking vessels, and once seasoned properly, also imparts a wonderful flavor to the food. This is often called “WOK HEI” which means “breath of the wok”.
STIR FRY INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 large red pepper (julienned)
- 1/4 cup Swerve Brown Sweetener
- 1/8 cup stevia/erythritol blend sweetener
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Lard/Oil/Bacon Fat
- 2 scallions (cut for garnish)
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt(we use Redmonds Real Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 large eggs (whipped)
- 2 to 3 TBSP water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 white vinegar
- 2 TBSP liquid coconut aminos or soy sauce (if it doesn’t offend your keto)
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (for thickening sauce at the end)
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Lard/Manteca for frying
*** I FIND COCONUT OIL TO BE TOO STRONG A FLAVOR. SAME FOR OLIVE OIL)
- Mix all the DRY INGREDIENTS in a medium sized mixing bowl, until well incorporated.
- Add the beaten eggs, oil and finally the water. Mix until you have a batter consistency.
- Add the chicken pieces to the batter and coat the chicken well. I find using my hands to be the best tools for the job.
- Heat oil in a large skillet/deep fryer until it reaches 325F, then add the battered chicken in batches. (I did mine in 3 batches)
- (Because of the protein powder, the oil will go very bubbly, but it will subside).
Cook chicken until it is golden brown and 165F internally, set out onto a paper towel lined tray; Then continue with the other batches. (Because of the protein powder, the oil will go very bubbly, but it will subside).
- Add all of the sauce ingredients, except the xanthan gum, together in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
STIR FRYING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Heat a wok on high heat, add red pepper flakes, garlic and ginger. Stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. (DO NOT BURN THESE INGREDIENTS or you will have a very bitter sauce)
- Add both of the sweeteners until they start to break down and dissolve.
- Add sliced red peppers, let cook for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Now add your sauce and allow to start coming to a boil.
- Sprinkle in your xanthan gum, and keep stirring until your sauce becomes like a maple syrup consistency.
- When your sauce gets to this stage, quickly add in ALL OF THE CHICKEN, and coat with the sauce to glaze each piece.
- Take off the heat, garnish with chopped scallions and serve with our INCREDIBLE FRIED RICE RECIPE!!!
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- FARBERWARE SILICONE MINI WHISK
- LE TAUCI SOUP BOWL
- GREENPAN NONSTICK CERAMIC SKILLET
- THERMOPRO DIGITAL MEAT THERMOMETER
- STAINLESS STEEL KITCHEN UTENSILS
- NORDIC WARE 1/2 SHEET BAKING PANS
- 14″ CARBON STEEL WOK
- WHITE RECTANGLE PLATE
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.