We’ve given this RETRO CLASSIC a breath of Fresh Air.
Since we’ve got our Pellet Smoker going pretty much 24/7, I thought why not do a Smoked Meatloaf?
And I sure am glad we did!!
To make this Meatloaf really stand out we first used two different meats, Ground Beef and Ground Pork.
The fat in the pork did 3 things:
Add a bunch of flavor, Create a lighter texture, and kept the meatloaf nice and juicy.
To create even more flavor, we sautéed our vegetables until soft and then blended it up into a puree, this disperses that flavor evenly throughout the meat, and again creates more juiciness. It’s also a great tip to hide the vegetables from picky eaters or children who don’t like the site of veggies; And finally we glazed it with our CLASSIC BBQ SAUCE, since we are going with the smoked/barbecued meatloaf theme.
This makes 2 good sized meatloafs, so it’s also a great meal prepping idea, one for now, and freeze one for another day!.
- 2.25 pounds ground beef
- 1.25 pounds ground pork
- 1 sm. onion (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1.5 cups crushed pork rinds/pork panko
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3 TBSP worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- our CLASSIC BBQ SAUCE for glazing
- Oil/Lard/Butter/Bacon grease for sautéing vegetables
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet. Add onions, green and red peppers and garlic and saute until softened and onion is translucent.
- Pour the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until the vegetable mixture becomes a paste. Set Aside.
- Put all of the ingredients, except the BBQ SAUCE, in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Evenly distribute the meatloaf mixture into 2 loaf pans lined with plastic wrap, this will help getting them out easily.
- Place the meatloafs in the refrigerator for 30 minutes so that the flavors continue to marry and they also set up nicely in the loaf pans.
- While they are in the fridge, it’s time to fire up the smoker!! 275F is the magic temperature for this dish.
- After 30 minutes has passed, take the meatloaf out of the fridge and gently lift the meatloaf out of the loaf pans, remove the plastic wrap, and place the meatloaf onto a rack that is elevated from a sheet tray beneath it.
This does 2 things, the elevated rack allows the smoke and heat to pass underneath the meatloaf, allowing more even cooking top and bottom. The tray below catches all of the drippings and fat.
- Place the meatloaf and their trays directly into your smoker and allow to cook for 2 hours or until the internal temperature reads 155F on an instant read thermometer.
- At this time we will glaze the meatloaf generously with our Classic BBQ Sauce, and let that cook for another 15 minutes. This will set the glaze and also allow the meatloaf to reach just over 160F, which is the safe temperature for ground meat.
- Take meatloaf out of the smoker and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with extra sauce!!
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- T-FAL NONTICK 5qt JUMBO SAUTE PAN
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- INSTANT POT ACE COOKING BLENDER
- RACHEL RAY 9×5 CAKE PAN
- LARGE GRILL GRID
- NORDIC WARE 1/2 SHEET BAKING PANS
- PIT BOSS WOOD PELLET SMOKER
- PIT BOSS HICKORY PELLETS
- THERMOPRO DIGITAL MEAT THERMOMETER
- SILICONE BASTING BRUSH
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.