Chicken Saltimbocca is a classic Italian dish that literally means “JUMP IN THE MOUTH“, and that is exactly what this dish does.
Saltimbocca is almost like an Italian version of Cordon Bleu. It’s a chicken cutlet thinly pounded and filled with a slice of prosciutto, a sage leaf and a slice of provolone cheese. Then it’s dipped in flour and shallow fried and finished off with a white wine and butter sauce.
It may sound complicated and fancy, but it really is a very simple, quick and cost effective way to feed your family.
- 8 chicken breast cutlets (and banged out thin)
- 1.5 cups unflavored whey protein powder for dredging
- 1/2 tsp salt (we use Redmonds Real Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 TBSP cold butter
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup olive oil for frying.
- To make the dredge, add whey protein powder, salt and pepper in a container or shallow bowl, and mix well.
- To each cutlet of chicken add a slice of prosciutto, a sage leaf and slice of provolone cheese (Pictured Below). In the picture we have 2 sage leaves, but 1 is enough!! My husband just happens to love sage a lot.
- Now fold each cutlet in half and skewer a toothpick through to hold it together whilst dredging and frying.
- Dredge each cutlet in whey protein powder mixture until evenly coated (no egg needed for this recipe), and set aside.
After a few minutes, it will look like there is not much dredge on the chicken, but it is still there, trust me!
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat, add 4 chicken cutlets in the oil and shallow fry until golden, flip the chicken over and cook the second side until golden. Set aside and fry the second batch.
- After the chicken cutlets are cooked, add 1/2 cup of dry white wine to deglaze the pan. Raise the heat to high and reduce the wine to about half. Now add the chicken stock and reduce that by half.
- Add cold butter and stir until melted, now add the xanthan gum, and stir until the sauce has a syrupy consistency.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, and allow to simmer for a minute or 2, just to ensure that the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve family style with sauce spooned over the top.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- T-FAL NONTICK 5qt JUMBO SAUTE PAN
- SILICONE RUBBER SPATULA
- WHITE RECTANGLE PLATE
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.