Rich, Cheesy, Gooey, Creamy With a Crispy Top, and oh-so-delicious…
This is definitely the dish we get asked to replicate more than any other recipe!
You know what it is!!! The quintessential side dish that is put on more tables than any other side.
MAC & CHEESE!
We’ve been very reluctant to tackle this one mainly because…..What do you use as the noodle?
Let me tell you something! I wasn’t going to give you mac & cheese with chunks of cauliflower acting as macaroni….Don’t get me wrong, it’s delicious…..But it ain’t, nor should it be passed off as macaroni!!
However we did stumble across a brand that we are pretty impressed with, Liviva.
We purchased a pack of the Penne style pasta and upon opening didn’t really get much of an odor at all….GOOD START. It comes packaged in 2 individual portions, and quite truthfully….We were pretty impressed.
We paired that with some crispy bacon because…well…it’s bacon!! And we also made a second batch with some pickled jalapenos thrown in (Hubby went crazy over that one).
Then we decided to give it a crispy top with some pork panko and grated parmesan for crunch.
WELCOME BACK MAC & CHEESE!
- 2 portions Liviva Penne (2 portions come in a pack)
- 12 oz block American Cheese from the deli section (we us Land O Lakes) cut into 1″ cubes
- 10 rashers of bacon (cooked crisp then roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup pork panko or crushed pork rinds
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt + pepper to taste
- Rinse penne pasta thoroughly, then put into a nonstick skillet over med/high heat and stir around until the penne has completely dried out and starts to make a squeaking sound when you move them around. Set Aside.
- Add the cubed American cheese and heavy whipping cream to a medium/Large saucepan, over medium heat and keep stirring until cheese has melted into the cream and it forms a sauce.
- Add in your chopped bacon and any other additions you may want. Stir to combine.
- Season to taste. You will probably only need to use pepper as the cheese is usually salty enough.
- Pour into an 8″ cast iron skillet or oven proof vessel. Top with crushed pork rinds and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place under a broiler for 30 seconds to a minute, or until the top is golden.
- SERVE and ENJOY!!
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- WIRE FINE MESH STRAINER
- GREENPAN NONSTICK CERAMIC SKILLET
- CALPHALON CLASSIC 2.5QT SAUCE PAN
- SILICONE RUBBER SPATULA
- LODGE 8″ CAST IRON SKILLET
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.