What is a Pavlova?
Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. It has a crisp crust and soft, light inside, usually topped with fruit and whipped cream.
The pavlova is a very popular dessert in Australia and New Zealand, and of course being married to an Aussie, he absolutely “INSISTED” on me creating a Keto version!
I particularly love Pavlova because it is light, especially after overstuffing myself around the Holidays, it’s nice to have a dessert that doesn’t bloat you up even more.
The other great thing about a Pavlova, is that you can bake the base up to 3 or 4 days ahead of time and then just dress it up with whipped cream and berries on the day!
You can see our ORIGINAL PAVLOVA here:
PAVLOVA BASE INGREDIENTS:
- 7 whites from large eggs
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup Swerve confectioners sweetener
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Fresh keto approved berries for topping
PAVLOVA BASE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Set oven to 210F.
- In large bowl put egg whites and cream of tartar and whisk until mixture looks satiny white. We use our Kitchen Aid on setting #8, but you could use a hand mixer on high.
- Add sweetener 1 TBSP at a time, whilst the machine is running.
- Add all of the other ingredients, keep whisking until you get stiff peaks.
- Empty pavlova mixture onto a tray lined with parchment paper, into 2 10″ wide x 1.5″ high circles.
- Place onto middle rack of the oven for 90 mins.
- Once finished cooking, turn off oven and let sit in oven for Appx. 3 hours.
- Store base until ready to use.
- Top first pavlova with chocolate cream, then repeat for the second layer.
- Top that with fresh raspberries and a little sprinkle of Swerve Confectioners Sweetener.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup of Kerrygold butter
- 2oz Ghirardelli 100% cacao(chopped into small pieces) plus extra for grating on the final pie.
- 2 TBSP Ghirardelli 100% cocoa powder
- 4 TBSP Swerve confectioners sweetener
- 1 good pinch of espresso or coffee powder – Not necessary if you don’t have it, but does provide some complexity to the chocolate flavor.
- 2 large eggs
FOLDING CREAM INGREDIENTS
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream for folding into mousse
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp stevia/erythritol blend sweetener
CHOCOLATE CREAM INSTRUCTIONS:
- First we have to make the Chocolate Mousse
- Smash the chocolate into small pieces still in the unopened package. I use a rolling pin to bash the package and then open up the package after for clean, easy transportation.
- In a large blender put in all the dry ingredients (chopped up cacao, powdered cocoa, powdered sweetener, and espresso powder if using) and quickly pulse for about 30 seconds or until mixture is a fine powder and all the chocolate has been turned to powder.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter, almond milk, and heavy whipping cream, and continue to stir over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Be careful not to burn. Then carefully pour the hot liquid mixture into the blender over the dry mixture. Pulse for about 15 seconds until well combined. Then add the 2 large eggs into the blender, and blend for another 20 seconds.
- Pour Mousse mixture into a large mixing bowl and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Make folding cream, by pouring 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, sweetener and vanilla extract into a medium mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold cream mixture into the Chocolate Mousse mixture, making sure not to lose the volume that you have just created in the cream. You want the mousse to be nice and light.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- KITCHEN AID PROFESSIONAL STAND MIXER
- WILTON 21×15 NONSTICK BAKING PAN
- INSTANT POT ACE COOKING BLENDER
- CALPHALON CLASSIC 2.5QT SAUCE PAN
- PYREX MIXNG BOWLS
- SILICONE RUBBER SPATULA
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- BLACK AND DECKER HAND MIXER
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.