One of my favorite pre keto fast food indulgences was a Pizza Hut Barbecue Chicken Pizza.
The tangy, yet sweet BBQ Sauce, the freshness from the red onions and green peppers, the saltiness from the bacon, and the star of the show, the seasoned grilled chicken.
Well….I thought that since my Hubby loves grilling on his Pit Boss Wood Pellet Grill so much, I’d put him to work grilling some chicken breasts for the pizza…. Win-Win!!
To season the chicken we used our Memphis Style BBQ Rub, and we also used our Classic Barbecue Sauce Recipe to sauce the pizza and a little extra drizzle on the Pizza after it’s cooked.
The taste was kind of there, once you got so immune to cauliflower you couldn’t taste it anymore, and the texture…..well it just never felt like pizza dough to me, foldable, pliable, wonderful pizza dough, thats the mouthfeel I was missing. I was missing not just the taste, but the sensation of eating a REAL PIZZA, from a local pizza bar. I tried that fathead dough, it was getting closer, but I could taste and feel the almond flour still, and I wasn’t fond of how many carbs it brought to the table also. As with all my experiments, I would give it to my girls to taste. What better critics of pizza than children. After several “No’s” and “It tastes like a keto pizza“, I finally hit the jackpot with this one. Let’s just say there were zero leftovers and they were asking me to make it again the next evening.
So follow these really easy steps below and I believe you’ll find yourself pleasantly surprised!
If you want our regular tomato based pizza recipe, CLICK THIS LINK!!
PIZZA BASE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
PIZZA BASE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Beat eggs in a small bowl and set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients together including the eggs, make sure egg is well incorporated throughout the cheese mixture without breaking down the cheese too much.
- Put mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and form into shape desired for pizza. Ours is a rectangle shape. You want the crust approximately 1/2″ thick.
- Place pizza dough in the oven on the middle shelf for 15 mins.
- Take out pizza, add our Classic Barbecue Sauce to the base along with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese, the green peppers, red onion, bacon and grilled chicken. Add a tiny bit more mozzarella cheese to set toppings and place back in oven for an additional 20-25 mins until edges are lightly browning.
- Remove from oven, slide from parchment paper onto cooling rack for about 5 mins. Do not skip this step, this allows steam to escape without collecting moisture and going soggy. This is what will give you that great pizza crust texture.
- Drizzle with extra Barbecue Sauce.
GRILLED CHICKEN INGREDIENTS:
- 2 chicken breasts (sliced in half)
- Our Memphis Style BBQ Rub
GRILLED CHICKEN INSTRUCTIONS:
- Season chicken breasts with the BBQ Rub.
- Grill the chicken on an outdoor grill (We use our Pit Boss Wood Pellet Smoker) until chicken is cooked through or reaches 160F internally with an instant read thermometer.
- Set aside to rest, then chop into large pieces.
- CLASSIC BARBECUE SAUCE
- 2 rashers of cooked bacon (chopped)
- 1/2 a red onion finely sliced
- 1/2 a green pepper cut into thin strips
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- PYREX MIXNG BOWLS
- BAKING/COOLING RACK
- NORDIC WARE 1/2 SHEET BAKING PANS
- PIT BOSS WOOD PELLET SMOKER
- PIT BOSS HICKORY PELLETS
- THERMOPRO DIGITAL MEAT THERMOMETER
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
2 thoughts on “Barbecue Chicken Pizza”
This pizza crust has a fat head feel to it, except no almond flour. Does it get crispy? That is what we struggle with getting a crispy crust.
It does get crispy, still bendable, but crispy. There are 2 key tips for this. 1: Don’t overload the pizza, especially with wetter ingredients like canned mushrooms. 2) After the pizza comes out of the oven for the last time, put t straight onto a tray rack, for about 5-10 minutes. This allows air to circulate under the pizza, allowing it to stay crispy, and not collect moisture. I hope this helps. The texture of this pizza is Pizza Bar Pizza. It has crisp, it’s pliable and holds all of the ingredients well. It tastes nothing like fat head dough, and that’s why we like it.