Chile Rellenos is a beloved meal at just about every Tex-Mex restaurant in the country, it also happens to be one of my husbands favorite meals.
This particular recipe is the easiest and most common that you will find in most restaurants. It’s a Poblano pepper that is stuffed with cheese (though you can use leftover taco meat, chorizo, cream cheese), battered and then fried, and served with either a Chile Gravy (recipe below) or if you want the authentic Mexican style, it’s served with a Red Chile Sauce like we used for our Tamales.
I absolutely love this Chile Gravy, it’s definitely what you’d expect in most American mexican restaurants, and is hugely popular in South East Texas. The best thing of all; it takes only 10 minutes to make!!
- 3 large eggs (separated into whites and yolks)
- 3 TBSP unflavored whey protein powder
- 1/2 tsp redmonds real salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, place egg whites and cream of tartar, beat on high with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add egg yolks, protein powder and salt, then fold in gently with a rubber spatula until all ingredients are combined, and you have a batter consistency.
CHILI GRAVY INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup manteca/lard
- 1.5 TBSP chili powder (we use Gebhardt Brand for that Authentic taste)
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp redmonds real salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (to thicken gravy)
CHILI GRAVY INSTRUCTIONS:
- Add all of the dry spices (not xanthan gum) to a small ramekin and mix.
- Heat manteca/lard in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the lard has melted, add in the dry spices while stirring until the spices become fragrant (Approx 30 – 45 seconds), making sure not to let them burn.
- Pour in chicken broth and whisk. Allow to come to a simmer.
- Sprinkle in xanthan gum while whisking, until the liquid reaches a gravy texture.
CHILE RELLENOS INGREDIENTS:
- 4 large poblano peppers
- grated Mexican blend cheese or Monterey Jack/Colby
- Anything else you may want to stuff it with (our Taco Meat is a good choice also)
CHILE RELLENOS INSTRUCTIONS:
- Using a grill/oven/broiler ( we used our Pit Boss Pellet Grill), roast the poblanos until the skins are blackened.
- Place the blackened poblanos into an air tight container or plastic bag for 15 minutes to allow the skins to soften.
- Gently peel (most of) the blackened skin off the poblanos.
- Make an incision large enough down the center of the top of the poblano so that you can fill with your ingredients.
- Using toothpicks, secure the poblano back up tight to hold in the fillings.
- Set aside.
ASSEMBLING CHILE RELLENOS:
- Heat oil (we used manteca/lard) in a med/large skillet until 350F.
- *** IMPORTANT STEP *** Gently batter 1 POBLANO until evenly coated, and place it into the hot oil until the bottom is golden, gently flip the poblano and do the same. Set aside on a cooling rack so that the poblano doesn’t get too soggy. Repeat with the remaining 3 Poblanos.
- To plate Chile Rellenos, add some Chili Gravy to a plate, place a fried poblano on the top, add some more Chili Gravy and top with extra grated cheese, sour cream/crema or we used our queso sauce recipe.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- PIT BOSS WOOD PELLET SMOKER
- PIT BOSS HICKORY PELLETS
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- BAKING/COOLING RACK
- SILICONE RUBBER SPATULA
- BLACK AND DECKER HAND MIXER
- GREENPAN NONSTICK CERAMIC SKILLET
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.