This is a Southern rendition of a Steak House Classic Side Dish – CREAMED SPINACH.
We have swapped out the spinach for collard greens, which are generally a much sturdier green that has to be cooked for hours to make them tender.
Seeing that I am a 53 year old, and a mother to a 10 year old, with a full time job…..I don’t have time for that!!
So we’ve cut down the prep time time by buying shredded collard greens, with the majority of the stems removed already. These things boil up in 15-20 minutes depending on how tender you like them.
And then it’s basically just making a very simple, but tasty cream sauce to coat them in.
Creamed Collard Greens are a perfect side dish to any protein. Steak, Chicken, Pork….We have served them here with our Parmesan Crusted Chicken Schnitzel.
If you prefer Real Southern Collard Greens, Check out this recipe HERE!
- 32 oz. bag shredded collard greens
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 4 TBSP butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt for seasoning the collard green water and the dish at the end
(we use Redmond’s Real Salt)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with two teaspoons of salt.
- Add the shredded collards and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain the collards in a colander, and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as you can from the collards.
- In a large pot, melt the butter with the garlic and onions, and sauté on medium low heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add ground nutmeg, and ground black pepper, stir to combine.
- Add in the heavy whipping cream, stir, and allow to come to a simmer.
- Add in your cream cheese, stir and allow to melt, then add in your grated parmesan cheese.
- Now throw in your collard greens, mix around, making sure that the collard greens are thoroughly coated. Allow to cook until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- CALPHALON CLASSIC DUTCH OVEN 5QT
- SILICONE RUBBER SPATULA
- GOURMET ART CRACKLE SERVING BOWL
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.