What is a Pavlova?
Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. It has a crisp crust and soft, light inside, usually topped with fruit and whipped cream.
The pavlova is a very popular dessert in Australia and New Zealand, and of course being married to an Aussie, he absolutely “INSISTED” on me creating a Keto version!
As I mentioned before, I was never a marshmallow, meringue fan, but my Mother In Law, Vicky, used to make these at Christmas Time every year. Although the Pavlova really looks Christmassy with its glossy white exterior and fresh red berries, Christmas is in Summer in Australia, and it’s usually around a 100 degrees F and they do like their desserts light and refreshing; And that is EXACTLY what this dessert is!!
I particularly love Pavlova because it is light, especially after overstuffing myself on Christmas Lunch, it’s nice to have a dessert that doesn’t bloat you up even more.
On a side note, the Pavlova on the main picture above is a double stacked Pavlova for an EXTRA IMPRESSIVE PRESENTATION, so you would have to bake 2 individual Pavlova’s and stack them together with a layer of whipped cream in between them.
I have also included a single layer picture below if you just want to do the original version!
The other great thing about a Pavlova, is that you can bake the base up to 3 or 4 days ahead of time and then just dress it up with whipped cream and berries on the day!
PAVLOVA BASE INGREDIENTS:
- 7 whites from large eggs
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup Swerve confectioners sweetener
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Fresh keto approved berries for topping
PAVLOVA BASE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Set oven to 210F.
- In large bowl put egg whites and cream of tartar and whisk until mixture looks satiny white. We use our Kitchen Aid on setting #8, but you could use a hand mixer on high.
- Add sweetener 1 TBSP at a time, whilst the machine is running.
- Add all of the other ingredients, keep whisking until you get stiff peaks.
- Empty pavlova mixture onto a tray lined with parchment paper, in a circle around 10″ wide by 1.5″ high.
- Place onto middle rack of the oven for 90 mins.
- Once finished cooking, turn off oven and let sit in oven for Appx. 3 hours.
- Store base until ready to use.
- Top with whipped cream and berries
WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp stevia/erythritol sweetener
WHIPPED CREAM INSTRUCTIONS:
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer, until all ingredients are combined and form stiff peaks.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- KITCHEN AID PROFESSIONAL STAND MIXER
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- BLACK AND DECKER HAND MIXER
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
6 thoughts on “Christmas Style Pavlova”
How do you store the Pavlova shell gor up to 3 days? Covered in plastic wrap, leave uncovered, into the fridge or leave on counter? Thank you.
Store in an airtight container is best. Don’t refrigerate until decorated.
okay thank you for your quick response. Making this for Christmas Day.
Curious why you don’t have a print feature for your recipes.