There is almost nothing more comforting than Chicken Parmesan.
The breaded and fried chicken cutlet smothered with ooey gooey mozzarella cheese, and that rich tomato marinara sauce.
It makes me feel cozy just thinking of it!
And to further gild the lily, we’re serving it with some perfectly seasoned, crispy zucchini fries.
The secret to a good breading is using the powdery Parmesan cheese in the shakers….Yup the kind you get on your table at a cheaper Italian Restaurant or Pizza Bar. That stuff works better than a good quality parmesan that you grate yourself.
Now I will say, for grating over the top of the finished meal and zucchini fries, then definitely use a good quality aged Parmesan.
For the Mozzarella Cheese, I like to use a Whole Milk Mozzarella that you can slice…it’s smooth and creamy, I recommend Polly-O if you can find it.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced in half to make 4 cutlets
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup grated powdered parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 cup of our marinara sauce or Rao’s marinara sauce
- slices of mozzarella cheese (we use Polly-O)
- extra parmesan for the top
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make a breading station out of 2 separate bowls. One with the grated parmesan and parsley, and one with the beaten egg and heavy whipping cream mixture.
- Bread the chicken breasts, one at a time, in the egg mixture first and then the parmesan mixture. Set aside
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add oil to the pan. When the oil reaches 350F, gently place the chicken breasts in the pan and shallow fry until golden brown, flip and do the same on the other side.
Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 130F.
Keep in mind they are going to finish cooking in the oven.
- Heat up marinara sauce in an oven proof skillet, and put in the chicken cutlets, top with a little more marinara, followed by the sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Put the skillet in the oven and cook until the cheese is golden and the chicken reaches an internal temp of 160F. Approx 10-15mins.
- Take out of oven and serve with some good quality grated Parmesan Cheese.
ZUCCHINI FRIES INGREDIENTS:
- 1 large zucchini peeled and sliced into rectangle fries
- egg mixture from recipe above. (1/2 batch)
- parmesan mixture from recipe above. (1/2 batch)
ZUCCHINI FRIES INSTRUCTIONS:
- Make a breading station out of 2 separate bowls. One with the grated parmesan and parsley, and one with the beaten egg mixture.
- Bread the zucchini fries, in the egg mixture first and then the parmesan mixture. Set aside
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add oil to the pan. When the oil reaches 350F, gently place the zucchini fries (in batches) in oil and fry until golden brown and delicious.
- Top with some freshly grated Parmesan Cheese and a bowl of our marinara sauce.