A hearty soup made famous by OLIVE GARDEN, and one we get frequently requested to make.
It has Italian sausage, red pepper flakes, kale and instead of potatoes we used DAIKON RADISH…..
Daikon is very low in carbohydrates compared to potato, it holds up really well in a soup, and has the same mouth feel once boiled until tender and is pretty much NEUTRAL in flavor. It is a perfect substitute for potato in a soup.
If you didn’t say anything to your non-keto friends and family, I doubt they would even notice.
- 1 pound mild ground Italian sausage
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups kale
- 3 cups daikon radish (cut into 1″ cubes)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 TBSP bacon grease or any keto approved fat
- salt + pepper to taste
- Heat bacon grease/oil in a large soup pot over med/high heat.
- Add in Italian sausage and cook until it’s browned, then add in your minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir and saute for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, put in your daikon radish, followed by the chicken bone broth. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Allow the broth to simmer until the daikon radish is quite tender. Approx. 25 minutes.
- Once the daikon is tender, add in your kale, stir and allow to simmer until the kale is tender.
- Once daikon and kale are both tender, take the soup off the heat completely, add in your heavy whipping cream, stir to incorporate.
- Taste the soup for seasoning and adjust. We found it only needed a little ground black pepper.
- SERVE AND ENJOY!!
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- CALPHALON CLASSIC DUTCH OVEN 5QT
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
4 thoughts on “Zuppa Toscana”
Absolutely fantastic, the radish really is a game changer for me, we love this soup this was the first time we used the radish’s ..I’m so pleasantly shocked !!
Thank you for the feedback Edward. So glad you enjoyed it, and yes, the Daikon radish is a game changer. The stalk of a cauliflower works great too if you can’t get hold of the Daikon.
I can’t thank you so much for this! One of my favorites we made at home prior to my start on my new eating lifestyle. Never thought we could have again, Wrong. And Sausage gravy and biscuits too!
Thank you Cindy, we appreciate the feedback, and we are so happy you enjoy the recipes.