Chicken Francese is an Italian-American dish of thin chicken cutlets coated in a very light batter of flour and eggs and cooked in a light sauce made with white wine, butter and lemon juice.
There is also another popular version called Chicken Piccata, which is made the same way, but also includes capers in the sauce. Both are fantastic!
If you’ve ever eaten this dish at an Olive Garden for those of you in the United States, the sauce is a little more creamy…. If that’s what you prefer, I have a note down below in the recipe!
This dish is also great made with veal cutlets or even a delicate fish like cod, branzino, flounder or haddock, if you wanted to change out the protein.
- 6 thin chicken breast cutlets (lightly pounded)
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- Season chicken cutlets, front and back, with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make 2 stations, 1 for your protein powder and 1 for your egg wash. Season the protein powder with salt and pepper.
- Add heavy whipping cream and salt and pepper to your egg mixture. Mix well.
- Add one chicken cutlet to the seasoned protein powder, coat, flip, shake off the excess (we only want to dust the chicken with the powder) and place on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining cutlets.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic.
- Add one chicken cutlet to the egg wash mixture, coat both sides and add to the skillet. Repeat with another 2 cutlets. Do Not over crowd the pan. I suggest doing this in 2 batches.
- Allow the chicken cutlets to cook for 3 minutes, or until lightly golden, then flip and repeat for the second side. Place on a clean cooling rack and proceed with your next batch. (you may need a little extra oil)
- After all of the chicken has been cooked and removed, add your sauce mixture (recipe below) to the pan to deglaze all of the fond (the golden brown stuff) left on the bottom of the pan. Be sure to stir and scrape it up……THIS IS FLAVOR!!!
- Bring to a simmer, add cold butter and stir. Now lightly sprinkle your xantham gum and stir well.
- Add in your lemon slices, followed by the chicken cutlets. They should now all fit in the pan in one go.
- Allow the cutlets to rewarm in the sauce for 1 minute per side.
- Add in half of the fresh parsley, stir, taste for seasoning.
- Serve FAMILY STYLE, with a little more fresh parsley for garnish.
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 TBSP cold butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (this will add a little body to the sauce)
- lemon slices
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Add first 3 ingredients to a liquid measuring pitcher and stir well to combine.
- Set Aside.
*** IF YOU WANT THE SAUCE A LITTLE MORE LIKE AN OLIVE GARDEN STYLE, YOU CAN ADD A 1/4 CUP OF HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM TO THE SAUCE”
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- PYREX LIQUID MEASURING JUG
- 3 PIECE BREADING STATION
- BAKING/COOLING RACK
- CALPHALON 12″ GRIDDLE PAN
- CALPHALON CLASSIC SET
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.