Nearly every great Latin dish starts with a SOFRITO flavor base, but the Puerto Rican version uses a green sofrito base called Recaito. It’s basically a few ingredients whizzed up in a blender or food processor to make a paste. You can add sofrito to soups and stews, ground beef dishes and it is a big component in rice dishes, like Puerto Rican Arroz con Pollo.
If you have a Mexican/Latin grocery store available to you; you can often find a jarred or frozen version available, but fresh is always superior. I have included a very basic recipe using Grocery Store ingredients.
RECAITO SOFRITO INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large green bell peppers roughly chopped
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 head of garlic, peeled roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch of cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch culantro (or an extra bunch of cilantro if you can’t get it) roughly chopped
- olive oil (just enough to loosen) maybe a TBSP
RECAITO SOFRITO INSTRUCTIONS:
- Put all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse into a course paste.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator if using within a few weeks.
- You can also put it into ice cube
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- HAMILTON BEACH FOOD PROCESSOR
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
3 thoughts on “Puerto Rican Sofrito (Recaito)”
Looks delicious can’t wait to try this and add it to flavor dinner dishes! Thank you for sharing this family recipe!
I can’t hardly wait to make this yummy scrumptious sauce. Thank you so very much