The second installment of our “Easy Family Comfort Dishes” blog this week is Tamale Pie.
And this would even be considered a one pan wonder.
What is Tamale Pie…. For those who who are unfamiliar?
Tamale Pie is ground beef, perfectly seasoned with Mexican spices, peppers, onions, and topped with cheese and a crispy cornbread topping.
For the CORN BREAD TOPPING, we will be linking our dear friends recipe, with a step by step instruction video for the ABSOLUTE BEST KETO CORNBREAD.
TACO SEASONING INGREDIENTS:
2 TBSP chili powder
4.5 tsp Sazon seasoning (our recipe) or 3 pkts of Goya Sazon (if your keto allows)
1 tsp Adobo seasoning (our recipe) or 1 tsp Goya Adobo seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
- 2.5 pounds ground beef.
- 2 TBSP of your favorite keto approved oil/fat.
- 1/2 onion finely chopped.
- 1 green pepper finely diced.
- 1 can mild Rotel with tomatoes and green chiles (drained of liquid)
- 2 cups of grated cheese of your choice for topping the Taco Meat. We recommend a blend of mild cheddar and pepperjack.
Because our Tamale Pie feeds a crowd, you will need 3 BATCHES of Neisha’s Cornbread Recipe.
- Pre Heat oven to 350F
- Add 2 TBSP of oil/fat to a 12″ Cast Iron Skillet, heated over med/high heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook until halfway done, then add the onions and peppers, and saute until they have softened, and the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the Taco Seasoning, and stir until well combined. About a further 2 minutes.
- Add the drained Rotel, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the cornbread mixture, and smooth over until it completely covers the meat.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and Serve with your favorite condiments.
SERVES: 6 – 8
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- STAINLESS MIXING BOWLS
- SILICONE RUBBER SPATULA
- LODGE 12″ CAST IRON SKILLET
- IRON LOOK 7″ PORCELAIN BOWL