With Spring/Summer on it’s way, a lot of people are already pulling their grills out and getting them stoked up for what’s commonly known as GRILLING SEASON.
Having been born in the St. Louis area, we are commonly known for 4 main things, and they are all pretty Summer-ish.
- ST. LOUIS STYLE RIBS
- ST. LOUIS STYLE BARBECUE PORK STEAKS
Today we are focusing on ST. LOUIS STYLE PORK STEAKS. These are on pretty much every family’s grills during the Summer season in the Missouri/Southern Illinois vicinity; And it’s something I’ve grown up eating my whole life, and now, even my husband insists on having them.
A lot of people on keto/carnivore tend to not pick pork as one of their GO TO proteins, due to it’s lower fat content. Unless it’s bacon of course!
However, because these pork steaks are cut from the shoulder area, “the same muscles as where pulled pork is from”, it is quite fatty; But once those baby’s hit the grill and then simmer in some fantastic barbecue sauce for a while, they are melt-in-the-mouth tender.
PORK STEAKS INGREDIENTS:
6 large pork steaks
1/2 cup of the LOWEST CARB BEER YOU CAN FIND.
kosher salt and course ground pepper to season or your favorite keto steak seasoning.
PORK STEAK INSTRUCTIONS:
- Wash you pork steaks to get off any bone splinters from the meat cutting, which is quite common in this cut of meat.
- Pat dry.
- Season pork steaks with salt and pepper or your favorite keto approved seasoning.
- Get charcoal grill to grilling temperature, add pork steaks. Grill first side of the steak, flip steak over, then baste the steak with barbecue sauce. Do the same with the other side. You want that barbecue sauce to glaze and candy up on it a little. Don’t be afraid of a little char on the steaks, that adds to the flavor.
- Make sure that the steaks reach an internal temperature of 160F, before you take them off.
- Add steaks and all remaining sauce, into a large saucepan, add a half a cup of the LOWEST CARB BEER YOU CAN FIND.
- Let simmer on low heat for 45 minutes until steaks are incredibly tender.
- Serve with sauce.
BARBECUE SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 cup water
3 TBSP Swerve Brown Sugar
2 TBSP worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP white vinegar
1 TBSP hickory liquid smoke
1 TBSP stevia/erythritol blend sweetener
1 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp course black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
BARBECUE SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Add all ingredients together into a medium size saucepan.
- Place saucepan over medium/low heat and stir ingredients together, except xanthan gum, until well combined and sauce starts to gently simmer.
- Take off of heat, sprinkle xanthan gum slowly and stir until incorporated, then set aside until cooled down. After cooling, store barbecue sauce in whatever container you wish. Keep refrigerated after using.
16 oz bag of shredded cabbage/slaw or prepare your own
3/4 cup keto approved mayonnaise
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp stevia/erythritol blend sweetener
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
- Put all ingredients except shredded cabbage into a large mixing bowl and whisk well to form a dressing.
- Add shredded cabbage to the dressing and toss until all the cabbage is well coated.
Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow all the flavors to combine.